Focusing on Opioid Safety
Newly released data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that life expectancy in the United States has decreased for the second time in three years1,2. This is due in part to increasing rates of opioid overdose deaths. There were more than 70,000 overdose deaths in 2017, the highest on record2.
atom Alliance works with providers, patients, and communities to increase the safety of opioids when they are necessary to manage pain. Multiple tools and resources are available, and many align with the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) improvement activities and quality measures. Focusing on opioid safety can make a substantial impact on the quality of patient care and contribute to a reversal of alarming trends in drug overdoses. Providers can put their efforts on opioids to work for them by using opioid safety activities to earn points for MIPS.
Below is a listing of opioid-related MIPS activities and resources for your practice to help meet their requirements.
MIPS Opioid Improvement Activities
- IA PSPA 5: Annual Registration in the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program — Information on the state PDMP from National Association of State Controlled Substance Authorities
- IA PSPA 6: Consultation of the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program — Information on the state PDMP from National Association of State Controlled Substance Authorities
- IA PSPA 22: Training on CDC’s Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Chronic Pain — Applying CDC’s Guidelines for Prescribing Opioids
MIPS Opioid Quality Measures
- #408: Opioid Therapy Follow-up Evaluation — Checklist for prescribing opioids for chronic pain, including the PEG Scale to assess effectiveness of opioid therapy
- #412: Documentation of Signed Opioid Treatment Agreement — Sample agreement, developed in collaboration with patients
- #414: Evaluation or Interview for Risk of Opioid Misuse — Opioid Risk Tool | Screener and Opioid Assessment for Patients with Pain-Revised (SOAPP-R)
Additional Opioid Safety Resources Available on the atom Alliance Website:
- Preventing Fatal Opioid Overdose Among Your Patients
- Non-Opioid Treatments for Chronic Pain
- National Safety Council Patient Information on Non-Opioids for Treating Acute Pain
atom Alliance in available to provide technical assistance on any of the quality measures, improvement activities, or resources listed above. Contact Amanda Ryan, PharmD, BCGP, Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, atom Alliance.
In addition, atom Alliance will be holding a webinar on 1/24/19 to share resources on managing opioid tapers for patients with chronic non-cancer pain and locating safe drug disposal locations though a comprehensive website and mobile app. REGISTER HERE
- Murphy SL, Xu JQ, Kochanek KD, Arias E. Mortality in the United States, 2017. NCHS Data Brief, no 328. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2018.
- Hedegaard H, Miniño AM, Warner M. Drug overdose deaths in the United States, 1999–2017. NCHS Data Brief, no 329. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2018.